On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 08:56:16PM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
> What's missing right now is how will we declare a Backport format.
> Can we just use something like: 'Backport from
> 6607bdd99994c834f92fce924abdaea3405f62dc'?

No.  What we should allow is that people just git cherry-pick r11-1234-g123456
into a release branch and push it (of course after testing),
so we don't want the user to change the commit log in that case.
Can one just assume backport if the commit in question is already an ancestor
of the master
or a newer release branch and is going to be added into the release branch?
The checking portion of the git-changelog script should behave the same in
that case, and the add ChangeLog snippets part should detect this (when it
is run as pre-commit hook I'm not sure if it is possible to check if it is
already ancestor of trunk, but when it would be run during DATESTAMP bump it
should easily check that) and compare the commit date between trunk and the
release branch commit, if they are the same, not do anything special,
otherwise add those Backported from ... lines.

        Jakub