Hey.

Am 11.05.2020 um 15:59 schrieb Thomas Neumann via Gcc:
In a way I am disagreeing with the paper, of course, in that I propose
to make the existing exception mechanism faster instead of inventing a
new exception mechanism. But what I agree on with P0709 is that it is
unfortunate that many projects disable exceptions due to performance
concerns. And I think the performance problems can be solved.

I just wanted to point out that Herbceptions do not only fix performance issues, but also code-size problems. While anything below 4GB of RAM is considered under-powered for a PC, typical deep embedded environments have something around 32k of program memory and 2K of ram. And even those running Linux often have around 32MB program memory and 8MB of RAM. Also most of these systems are very cost sensitive, so each byte matters. Therefore RTTI and exceptions are one of the main reasons why parts of the embedded community consider C++ unusable: They do some experiments using C++ and the code size explodes.  And even if you know what you are doing and turn interrupts and RTTI off, adding a std::nothrow to every "new" to do decent error handling is pretty annoying. Not mentioning the parts of the C++ library that don't provide exception-free error-handling.

So yes, improving the performance is nice, but ISO C++ will still be unusable for most computer systems: There are way more emdedded systems with less than 32MB program memory out there than PCs, Servers and mobile phones together.

Cheers
Morty

--
Redheads Ltd. Softwaredienstleistungen