Hello,

I am looking at the dump for the build_alias pass. I see a lot of variables with the naming convention D.[0-9]* in the points-to sets being printed.

When I compile with

-fdump-tree-all-all

I can see that the suffix D.[0-9]* is appended to some gimple variables. I initially imagined that variables in the points-to variable set could map to a variable declaration in gimple, but this does not seem to be the case. I have confirmed this by searching for some known variable name in the points-to set and finding no matches in the gimple code, the other way around seems to also be true.

Are these variables just constraint variables used to solve the points-to analysis? In other words, the variables in points-to sets printed out in build_alias do not have a simple map to variables in gimple. The only relation is that the intersection between to points-to set for variable A with the points-to set of variable B will yield an is_alias(A, B) relationship. Is the above true?

Thanks!