On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 5:28 AM Richard Biener via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> And just to repeat - all the GCC governance structure (the "SC") represents
> all of the same non-openess as the FSF governance structure (because
> the "SC" is in fact appointed by the Chief GNUisance "or his delegates").

While that is true in a formal sense it's not true in a practical
sense.  In practice the steering committee appoints its own members.

That said I think it would be entirely reasonable to use a different
structure.  I just don't know what it would be.  The steering
committee doesn't really take very many actions, which is as it should
be.  The main and by and large only action is appointing, or perhaps a
better word would be anointing, maintainers: the people listed in the
MAINTAINERS file.

Thoughts on changing the steering committee system should probably be
on a separate thread from the RMS discussion.

Ian