> On Apr 15, 2021, at 11:17 AM, Iain Sandoe <i...@sandoe.co.uk> wrote:

> responding in general to this part of the thread.
>
> * The GCC environment is not hostile, and has not been for the 15 or so
> years I’ve been part of the community.

Glad to see you feel that way; my view matches yours.

> * We would notice if it became so, I’m not sure about the idea that the wool
>  can be so easily pulled over our eyes.
>
> I confess to being concerned with the equation “code” > “conduct”; it is not
> so in my professional or personal experience.   I have seen an engineering
> team suffer great losses of performance from the excesses of one (near genius,
> but very antisocial) member - the balance was not met.  Likewise, it has been
> seen to be a poor balance when there are three gifted individuals in a
> household
> but one persecutes the other two (for diagnosed reaons).. again balance is not
> met
>
> One could see the equation becoming a self-fullfilling prophecy viz.
>
> *  let us say compilers are complex, and  any significant input over length
> of time
>   will require a resonably competent engineer.
>
> * reasonably competent engineers with a good social habit are welcome
> everywhere
>
> * reasonably competent engineers with poor social habit are welcome in few
> places.

All true.

> - those few places will easily be able to demonstrate that their progress is
> made
>  despite the poor atmosphere, with no way to know that something better was
> possible.
>
> responding to the thread in general..
>
> * Please could we try to seek concensus?
>
> - it is disappointing to see people treating this as some kind of
> point-scoring game
>  when to those working on the compiler day to day it is far from a game.

I'm not sure what the consensus is you're looking for.  Consensus on the
principle that people should behave in a civil fashion? Yes, I agree with that.

The difficulty, as I mentioned, is in deciding in concrete situations whether
that principle was violated and what should be done about it.  So I think the
easy part is the principle; the hard part is the process that will enforce the
principle in those cases where it needs to be -- and ONLY in those cases.
Again, if the question had come up 10 years ago I wouldn't be so worried; but
in 2021 after years of watching people being blacklisted for daring to speak
the wrong politics of the day, I can no longer do so.

        paul