> On Apr 20, 2021, at 9:22 AM, David Starner via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Giacomo Tesio wrote:
>> Please, do not create a hostile environment for indipendent contributors.
>
> What do you mean by independent? If you're independently wealthy and
> don't need to work, you can avoid this. If you're a cashier or field
> laborer or in some other poorly paid job, then your employer probably
> doesn't care. Otherwise, if you work for a company that produces
> software, even just internally, or for a university, or a company
> where your name might be associated with the company, then your
> employer may demand that you cease publicly working on Free Software.

Not necessarily.

I'll offer you my own example.  I'm the target maintainer for pdp11.  It should
be obvious that I'm doing this as an "independent contributor", not as part of
my job, and indeed that work is for that reason spare time work done outside of
business hours.

I have a company copyright disclaimer in place, dating back to some years ago
when the work I was doing on gcc did at times touch on (then) company business.
 As a legal matter it is doubtful that my current GCC involvement even needs
that copyright disclaimer since the work is not on company time and not in the
company's field of enterprise.

In other words, we have jobs (unless we're retired or unemployed) as well as
private time, and there are a number of GCC contributors who contribute their
private time.  I take Giacomo's comment to refer to that case.

        paul