On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> Soft float is not described in any formal ABI btw (well, except the
> Power 32-bit embedded ABI :-) ) -- it is an compiler-internal affair.

It's fully documented in the unified 32-bit ABI document (under
ATR-SOFT-FLOAT conditionals).

There's still some code in the compiler for a very old soft-float ABI for
binary128 long double (passing by reference, using _q_* libcall names).  I
don't really think it makes much sense to use that for future _Float128
support for soft-float (certainly not the _q_* libcalls), rather than
passing in four consecutive GPRs as is done for IBM long double for soft
float, but we could.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com