On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 18:32:24 +0200
Bernhard Reutner-Fischer <rep.dot....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2017 at 21:08, Mike Stump <mikest...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > On May 16, 2017, at 5:16 AM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The change I care about in 1.5.3
> >
> > So, we haven't talked much about the version people want most.  If we
> > update, might as well get something that more people care about.  1.5.3 is
> > in ubuntu LTS 16.04 and Fedora 24, so it's been around awhile.  SUSU is
> > said to be using 1.6, in the post 1.4.4 systems.  People stated they want
> > 1.5.2 and 1.5.3, so, I'm inclined to say, let's shoot for 1.5.3 when we do
> > update.
> >
> > As for the machines in the FSF compile farm, nah, tail wagging the dog.
> > I'd rather just update the requirement, and the owners or users of those
> > machines can install a new dejagnu, if they are using one that is too old
> > and they want to support testing gcc.
>
> So.. let me ping that, again, now that another year has passed :)

or another 3 or 4 :)

> PS: Recap: https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2012-03/msg00094.html was
> later applied as
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=dejagnu.git;a=commit;h=5481f29161477520c691d525653323b82fa47ad7
> and was part of the dejagnu-1.5.2 release from 2015. Jonathan requires
> 1.5.3 for libstdc++ testing.
(i.e.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=dejagnu.git;a=commit;h=5256bd82343000c76bc0e48139003f90b6184347
 )
> The libdirs fix would allow us to remove the 150 occurrences of the
> load_gcc_lib hack, refer to the patch to the fortran list back then.
> AFAIR this is still not fixed: +# BUG: gcc-dg calls
> gcc-set-multilib-library-path but does not load gcc-defs!
>
> debian-stable (i think 9 ATM), Ubuntu LTS ship versions recent enough
> to contain both fixes. Commercial distros seem to ship fixed versions,
> too.

It seems in May 2020 there was a thread on gcc with about the same
subject: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2020-May/232427.html
where Mike suggests to have approved to bump the required minimum
version to 1.5.3.
So who's in the position to update the
https://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html
to s/1.4.4/1.5.3/g && git commit -m 'bump dejagnu required version' ?

Just asking patiently and politely.
I don't want to rush anybody into such a bump :)

But as you may remember, folks routinely run afoul of using too old
versions (without the 5256bd8 multilib prepending for example, recently
someone doing ARM stuff IIRC) so a bump would just be fair IMHO.

Maybe now, for gcc-12, is the time to bump prerequisites to 1.5.3?

thanks and sorry for my impatience (and, once again, the noise).
cheers,