Hi Paul,

> On 25 Nov 2022, at 20:08, Paul Koning via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 25, 2022, at 3:03 PM, Andrew Pinski <pins...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 11:59 AM Paul Koning via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to use fairly recent GCC sources (the gcc-darwin branch to be
>>> precise) to build Ada, starting with the latest (2020) release of Gnat from
>>> Adacore.
>>
>> Are you building a cross compiler or a native compiler?
>> If you are building a cross, you need to bootstrap a native compiler first.
>
> I'm not sure.  The installed Gnat is x86_64-darwin; I want to build
> aarch64-darwin.

you are building a cross then.

> But in any case, how does that relate to the error messages I got?  They
> don't seem to have anything to do with missing compilers, but rather with the
> use of language features too new for the available (downloadable) Gnat.

Building a cross GNAT requires that the build compiler is from the same sources
as the cross - so, as Andrew says, you need to bootstrap the current sources on
x86_64 and then use that compiler to build the cross to aarch64.  I’m not sure
exactly where this constraint is mentioned .. but, nevertheless, it is a
constraint.

FWIW: I have not done this for a few weeks (using my arm64 prototype branch)
but it was working fine then.

Iain