I read, by accident last night, a post on the curl-users mailing list, a suggestion by its maintainer that RO-specific support should be removed from the source. He said:

The --environment command line option has existed since April 2002 and is
 documented to be specifically for RISC OS builds. It is also enabled in
 src/makefile.dj for DOS-builds.

I now want to remove that option and all code related to it since it is such a niche feature, there doesn't seem to be any RISC OS builds updated since years and I see no reason why DOS builds specifically should need/use this either.

 The pull-request for doing so is already submitted, see link below.

 If you object to me merging this, please speak up and tell me why!

I haven't a clue whether that would cause any current RO users a problem. As the maintainer
mentioned this in a post entitled:

  --environment anyone?

I've commented that no RO user of curl would necessarily realise that it meant them... I also suggested that he contact ROOL to see if they had a view on this, but I'm not sure that he is going to. So I did... and Ben Avison replied suggesting I mention it here.

The curl mail list can be found at:
https://curl.haxx.se/mail/list.cgi?list=curl-users

(It's been ages since I used RO, but I know it's still in use.)

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own