I'm not complaining (well on the contrary), but we may need to document this. Since what version is it possible to provide a Proj4 string in a file for -a_srs?

Joaquim,

Underlying the -a_srs function is the OGRSpatialReference::SetFromUserInput() method which does mention that proj.4 strings are accepted from a file. The
problem is that it is not really practical to describe all coordinate
system specification methods everywhere they are used.

I have added a brief note in the introductory material on the utilities pages
indicating files with several formats are supported.

Frank,

Thanks and sorry for not be clear enough. When I said "we" I was thinking on the
GMT, because if it was a very new thing we could have to warn users to have
"a such" GDAL version.

Joaquim