Hi,

At least in my understanding the gdaldem manual's description for the Roughness is misleading. It states

"Roughness is the the largest inter-cell difference of a central pixel and its surrounding cell, as defined in Wilson et al (2007, Marine Geodesy 30:3-35)."

From that I understood that R = MAX(Zi-Zcentral) where Zi runs over all pixels in the rectangular neighborhood. However, what the code computes (correctly according to the paper it refers to) is
R = Zmax - Zmin
that is also known as the range filter in image processing.

Joaquim Luis