Don't know if this is what you are looking for but if those netCDF files are of a similar type that one can get from the poet site (http://poet.jpl.nasa.gov/), Mirone has a tool called "Aquamoto" (a tool original developed to show time stamps of a tsunami propagation models) that loads those files and show their content interactively with the help of a slider.

Joaquim

Hi folks,

I have a dataset that is a 4-dimensional array of values: time,x,y,z

We're currently using netcdf to store it, which is well suited to this kind of data.

However, we also need to get it into a GIS (Arc in this case), and I'm trying to find a good way to do that.

Both Arc and gdalinfo do strange things if I simply point them at the netcdf file. GDAL seems to (arbitrarily?) see it as a 9064 band data set, so it is taking particular slice (I think I'm getting a bunch of (time, z) 2-d bands.

Anyway, I suspect that if I re-arrange the axis in the netcdf file, I might get something more reasonable, but my question is:

What is a good format to ex[press this to a GIS system?

I'm imaging multiple files, maybe geo-tiff, but how to I express time and elevation in a way that is natural to GIS?

thanks for your thoughts,

-Chris