Frank,

Wouldn't this apply to the netCDF grids as well? GMT has always made the distinction on the area vs point representation. The grids created by GMT hold that information on the global attribute "node_offset". As for other netCDF CF grids created elsewhere it is also possible to find which model is used by checking the grid limits vs array size because for the same limits the PixelIsArea model has one less row and column than the PixelIsPoint.

Joaquim

Folks,

After 15 years of denial, and bullheadedness it is now time for me to
admit my interpretation of PixelIsPoint in GeoTIFF files is wrong. To that
end I have prepared a brief RFC discussing how I intend to fix it.  I'd
appreciate comment before calling for a vote.

  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc33_gtiff_pixelispoint

Mmmm, crow - it tastes just like chicken!

Best regards,