Perhaps that's why the standard place for Python is NOT in "Program Files"

Yes,  there is wisdom.

That being said, "Program Files" does seem to work fine for me most of the time.

And for the (1 - "most") times that it didn't work you knew how to fix it (enclosing the full path with "") but many people don't know it.

By the way, isn't there some new stuff about "side by side" installs or something -- that's supposed to help dll hell?

I think you are referring to the "manifests" but here also MS has changed their mind (aleluia). VC2010 doesn't have them anymore which IMO is a compelling reason to use this compiler whenever possible.

Joaquim