I'm finding that the new OSM Driver (I tested again with r24699) has a problem
when working with the whole planet file. When I tried with the US Northeast
subset, I got multipolygons and multilinestring entries. When reading the whole
planet file, I did not. It gets to 70% and then ends (but without an error
message). I also got fewer polygons than I was expecting. It seems like the
reading got interrupted by some non reported error.

I was writing to Oracle for this importing but got the same results writing to
sqlite. It seems that smaller extracts work fine but the are some reading
issues with the whole planet file (in pbf format). I can try with the .osm
format.