I have a big geojson (4.83G) and try to convert it using ogr2ogr (GDAL 2.1.1,
released 2016/07/07, Mac), but after 6 minutes of processing it terminates with:

ERROR 1: GeoJSON parsing error: continue (at offset -1)
ERROR 4: Failed to read GeoJSON data
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `geonames.geojson’ with the following drivers.
…

Also I was not able to open same file with QGIS (it tried to consume 50+G RAM
and crashed). The file is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3573333/tmp/geonames.geojson.bz2

I have similar smaller file from same proces, with size just below 2G and that
one works fine. So it looks like some 2G or 4G size issue.

Is there maximum size for readable GeoJSON files?

Jaak