Erik,

> recently I downloaded a free 1:1000000 map of France from
> http://professionnels.ign.fr/. The map comes in tiles supposed to be in
> JPEG 2000 Part 1 format. "file" utility says "JPEG 2000 Part 1 (JP2)" and
> the file name ending is .jp2.
>
> My GDAL (version 2.2.3) was compiled against a patched Jasper library
> (jasper-1.900.1.uuid) and pretends to be able to read .jp2.
>
> When I try gdalinfo on one of this tiles, however, it says:
>
>   terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
>     what():  basic_string::_S_create
>   Aborted
>
> Is this a known issue?

Likely, Jasper can only handle images that fit entirely in RAM and has a number
of limitations.

> Is there a solution?

Yes, use another Jpeg2000 driver. OpenJPEG should be able to handle such
images.
Otherwise there are the drivers based on the proprietary SDKs. See
http://gdal.org/formats_list.html

Even

http://www.spatialys.com