It seems to me that frmts/gtiff/libgeotiff/GNUmakefile should also override the default rule for %.$(OBJ_EXT) in GDALmake.opt

%.$(OBJ_EXT):    %.c
    $(CC) $(GDAL_INCLUDE) $(ALL_C_FLAGS) -c -o $@ $<

in addition to the rule for ../../o/%.$(OBJ_EXT)

BTW, could somebody explain why the two sets of .lo and .o: one in current directory and one in ../../frmts/o?

Ari