Patrick,

FWIW, Rob's post is on the process he uses in Photoshop to prepare images
for various venues.  For imagery published through the platform we (Planet)
do not use per-image white-point and black-point (or we would not have day
to day, and scene to scene consistency).  We do apply color curves Rob
prepared in our automated process but with "fixed" black/white point which
results in an automated 8bit RGB product that tends to be very suboptimal
in dark or bright areas.     The imagery Planet shows in our web-explorer
interface is served from highly compressed JPEG-in-TIFF adding an
additional layer of image damage. :-)  While that pains me, we are keeping
around nearly 3 billion scenes online at nearly full resolution for fast
visualization so some compromises have to be made.

Beyond nit-picking, I think my point is:
 - given 12bit "rawer" data you have the opportunity to do careful scene
dependent conversion to 8bit in a way that best brings out the details
available in the source data if you have the time and patience.
 - having this process done for you in advance by a skilled supplier
(perhaps in such a way as to maintain reasonable consistency for large area
coverages) may actually save you a lot of work if you mostly just want to
fairly generic visualization - and it might even be a better visualization
than you would do yourself if you aren't going to do a lot of work.

Best regards,
Frank