Luisa,

the answer is a mixed yes/no

The implementation of the CreateDimension() method in the netCDF supports a UNLIMITED creation option. Cf https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/664fae6ed14d77501c4f0a796f0fb371bae3bf3e/autotest/gdrivers/netcdf_multidim.py#L586 to instruct it to be created as such at the netCDF level. But GDAL still needs a fixed size for such dimensions. I guess that could potentially be enhanced to be able to expand the dimension size, but that remains to be coded (there would be implications in GDAL generic multidim code that does for example checks on indices in GDALMultiDim::Write() operations)

Even