Hi,

The code reformatting has now landed into master and release/3.6 branches per pull requests https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/6937 and https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/6939. I've applied it now since the number of opened pull requests is low. I've split the reformatting in one commit per modified directory, to avoid potential issues with UI like github that could have performance issues with a single huge commit.

For developers, when you'll have resynchronized your local copy with master, do the following from the top of your clone so that commits with code reformatting are ignored when using "git blame"

git config blame.ignoreRevsFile .git-blame-ignore-revs

This is documented in https://gdal.org/development/dev_practices.html#blame-ignore-file

If you have ongoing work in local branches not sent as PR, and that you intend to submit as a single-commit (or squashed as a single-commit on merging), do *not* merge master into it, otherwise you'll get conflicts. But you can apply the following workflow to reformat your modified files to comply with the formatting rules:

git fetch upstream master # assuming 'upstream' points to OSGeo/gdal
git checkout -b reformatted_branch  # to not mess up with your original work
git cherry-pick 5d80bc1 2796f2a b9c28a1 3103e5e 48c9ea8cb4  # to fetch modified pre-commit hook and .clang-format
pip install pre-commit # if not already done
pre-commit install # if not already done
pre-commit run --files foo/bar.cpp bar/baz.h  # put here the list of your modified files to reformat

Copy all your modified files as .cpp.new / .h.new ones for example

Create a new branch from latest master and copy the .cpp.new / .h.new files on top of the .cpp / .h ones (or use a merge tool if there have been conflicting changes in between to only merge your changes)

If you want your work to be merged as multiple commits, then I'm afraid you'll have to endure some pain to create copies of modified files by each commit in their before and after state, reformat those different versions, generate patches with the diff between the reformated before/after versions, and use those diffs with git apply to recreate commits in a new branch on top of latest master

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com