Johannes,

this is more an issue on QGIS side, in its OGR provider where there's likely a lack of mapping between the OGR geometry types and QGIS geometry types for Curve and Surface (just guessing, didn't check). The root cause is that Curve and Surface in OGC/ISO specs are abstract types only, not directly instantiable. So it is really hard to have datasets where they are reported as layer geometry types, unless you try hard to do so, as you did. I'd suggest you use CurvePolygon (resp. CompoundCurve) instead of Surface (resp. Curve) in your .gfs file. That's what the OGR XSD reader does when encountering a gml:SurfacePropertyType or gml:CurvePropertyType. Those are instanciable types and QGIS should behave properly

Even