Javier,

Le 26/10/2023 à 11:59, Javier Jimenez Shaw via gdal-dev a écrit :
Hi

Using a GeoTIFF with a single band and float values can be very useful to show any distribution over the terrain. One typical example is DSM (digital surface model), where the value is the elevation on every point.

Is there any standard (or accepted) metadata to say the units of those values?

API wise in GDAL, you should use the GDALRasterBand::SetUnitType() to set the unit

For TIFF, this will be encoded in the GDAL_METADATA TIFF tag like the following:

<GDALMetadata>
  <Item name="UNITTYPE" sample="0" role="unittype">foo</Item>
</GDALMetadata>

Regarding the value itself, it is mostly unspecified by GDAL. It could be a good practice to suggest to use strings recognized by the "udunits" package (when possible), like done in the netCDF CF conventions (http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.10/cf-conventions.html#units)

Even

In the typical case of DSM it is usually "meter" or "foot". But it can be something else, like "people/km2" for population, or "mm" for rain precipitation, or "kg/ha" for agricultural yield.

Thanks

http://www.spatialys.com