Hi,

I tried to find some easy way for checking with GDAL if an image is a standard
TIFF or BigTIFF but I could not find any. It seems that "more big.tiff" on
Windows finds "II+" from the beginning of the file if the image is BigTIFF and
"II*" otherwise. Or then I can open the image with a hex editor for seeing if
the third byte is 2A or 2B. However, I would like to see the information with
gdalinfo for example as

Image Structure Metadata:
  INTERLEAVE=BAND
  VERSION=BigTIFF

Does it feel reasonable? I know that overviews may be standard TIFFs while the
main image is BigTIFF but maybe the information from the header would be
enough. Or have I missed some existing tool? I thought that tiffinfo at least
would report TIFF/BigTIFF but it doesn't.

-Jukka Rahkonen-