Hi,

interesting question. No easy answer as it is highly driver dependent. I believe that all drivers make sure that the content of the buffer before and after the call is the same, but some drivers might temporarily modify it, to do byte swapping. For example the HFA driver does that when run on big-endian hosts for non-Byte data type. I wouldn't exclude that for formats with MSB-byte ordering, a similar situation would happen for little endian hosts. So it is definitely not safe to use WriteBlock() with a buffer that would come from a read-only section of the calling program. Doc updated to reflect that in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/commit/ea321723dfc69ef3a422b1e3fe4dc9ee0832861d

Even