Michael,

Warning 1: The dataset has several variables that could be identified as vector fields, but not all share the same primary dimension. Consequently they will be ignored.
Yes, the driver is super conservative/picky when trying to recognize a netCDF file as a vector layer, and its heuristics will return in error if there is any ambiguity.

I've seen similar cases in other files. I presume the driver could be updated to 1) choose the primary dimension and read the values while ignore others 2) user-specify the dimension to include, or 3) user-specify the fields to exclude

I guess option 2 could be reasonable as an open option

For that particular file, I see that the "feature_id" variable (corresponding to the "feature_id" dimension) has a cf_role = "timeseries_id" attribute, and that the global metadata has a featureType = "timeSeries" attribute. So given https://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.11/cf-conventions.html#coordinates-metadata , this seems to be relatively standardized, and in that case the heuristics could be improve to recognize that the main dimension is feature_id (probably with a test that the size of the time dimension is 1).  As far as I can see/remember, the vector layer support in netCDF was originally developed for the featureType=point and profile use cases , so some tuning for timeseries isn't unexpected

Or maybe if detecting that in the set of dimensions there is only one with > 1 sample and others ones are at 1, consider only the one with > 1 sample

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com