On 19/12/2011 14:40, Matthew Brush wrote:
On 12/19/2011 05:54 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
Hi,
I tried opening data/geany.glade with the latest Glade, 3.8.1 on
Windows. Pressing Save writes a lot of changes to the file, 260 Kb. It
seems to be mostly reordering property tag lines for
"use_action_appearance".

Also, when I added 2 menu items it created duplicate image ids for
image1, image2.

Not sure what this means.

It stopped Geany from starting with an error message about image1 being defined twice.

What version of Glade created the file? Maybe if I can use the same
version I won't get the reordering noise in the diff.

I can't remember 100% but I think it was either 3.6.x or 3.8.x. I did
however just make this[1] change with 3.8.0 for sure recently.

Ok, there doesn't seem to be a 3.8.0 binary for Windows. The 3.6 binary had issues on my old machine so I'd rather stay on 3.8.1. It includes a relevant fix:
        - Ensure 'use-action-appearance' is serialized
          before 'related-action' (bug 658497)

This is probably the cause of 99% of the diff.

IMO, if you can't get the changes down to less, it doesn't really matter
if there's a bunch of noise in the commit, it's not like anyone really
needs to be able to read it, as long as the commit message describes

I disagree no one needs to read it. glade diffs should be reviewed by the author the same as all other code checkins IMO.

I'm hoping that we can standardise on 3.8.1 so we can review diffs and also avoid adding noise/bloat to the git repo each time someone uses a different version of Glade than the last commit.

Before we decided to standardise on a glade version for 2.x to prevent the same problem (although this was also because 2.x didn't have a required gtk option, different versions added a lot of diff noise anyway).

what was changed and it's not just Windows munging the file (with \r\n,
etc.).

I always choose the default core.autocrlf(?) option for msys-git as recommended by github, and the diff was produced by git.