On 01/20/2011 08:09 AM, Zeus V Panchenko wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm new fan of geeqie. Before discovering geeqie i was using gqview
> for a several years.
>
> i was testing all monster-not-depen graphics viwers in FreeBSD ports
> collection and geeqie is the best featured for my workflow.
>
> while reading wiki i didn't find any entry in wish list for any db
> intgration and wanna ask:
>
> can it be considered to integrate geeqie to some db?
>

> many projects today are using sqlite for example, though to my mind,
> nosql approach could be more natural, since image data represent
> `document' structure and such integration could broaden much possible
> features of the cataloging tasks.
>

> what do you think?

There was definitely discussion about using a database for image
metadata.  It's all stuff that got lost after the whole 1.0 release
debacle, however.

The choice of database should have a lot to do with how the data will be
accessed and used.  The non-relational options are good for scalability,
but they tend to have very weak query languages, which can severely
limit the utility of the datastore.  On the other hand, SQL is a very
powerful query language, but SQL-based solutions may have scalability
issues.

That said, given that Lightroom uses sqlite, it at least demonstrates
that sqlite is a feasible solution for this type of problem (although
it's not obvious what kind of optimizations they had to do to keep
performance up to par).

--xsdg