On 01/20/2011 08:33 AM, Zeus V Panchenko wrote:
> Omari Stephens (x...@csail.mit.edu) [11.01.20 10:17] wrote:
>>
>> There was definitely discussion about using a database for image
>> metadata.
>
> really not only image metadata but anything related to image, for
> example commercial history (for stock sells) e.t.c.
That still counts as metadata.  Basically, it would potentially include
anything that can be stored in EXIF or XMP.  Of course, there are some
forms of metadata (like large thumbnails) which might not make sense to
store directly in the DB.

>> That said, given that Lightroom uses sqlite, it at least demonstrates
>> that sqlite is a feasible solution for this type of problem (although
>
> i actively use darktable.sourceforge.net (the best raw processor for
> xNIX) project and they use sqlite too and to be hones, now it is too
> difficult to implement something different in UI than what was planned
> and allowed at the project start
If the schema isn't designed to be flexible, that may definitely be a
concern.  On the other hand, if a schema is _too_ flexible, you end up
with very few guarantees about the nature of the data that's stored in
the DB, and you can end up spending a lot of CPU validating the data as
you access it.  It can be a tricky balancing act.

> and again, can it be considered applicable to place db integration
> into todo list? :)
Sounds good to me.  zas or Klaus may have access to the wiki; I don't
think I do.

--xsdg