Konsep "Charter School" Solusi Pendidikan di Indonesia, Apa Itu?
(http://www.nu.or.id/post/read/71342/konsep-charter-school-solusi-pendidikan-di-indonesia-apa-itu
 )

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/lausd/la-edu-lausd-walk-in-20160217-story.html

LAUSD Education Matters: Tracking the Nation's Second-Largest School System
LOCAL Education LAUSD
What's a 'walk-in' and why were they happening at L.A. schools today?

Parents, students and teachers in Los Angeles Unified Schools stage a “walk-in”
before school Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016, to protest charter school expansion and
call for greater investment in public education.

Sonali Kohli and Howard BlumeContact Reporters
“Let’s go, dolphins, let’s go!” chanted dozens of students, parents and
teachers as they walked into 20th Street Elementary School before class,
professing love for their neighborhood school, one that might soon become a
charter school.

They were part of a “walk-in” demonstration organized on Wednesday morning by
teachers unions in Los Angeles and The Alliance to Reclaim Our Schools.

The rallies around the country were hashtagged as #ReclaimOurSchools. In Los
Angeles, they highlighted positive experiences at traditional public schools in
the face of an increasing number of charter schools.

Follow the Times' education initiative to inform parents, educators and
students across California >>

The rallies come against the backdrop of an effort to rapidly expand charter
schools in L.A. Unified. Charter schools are publicly funded but can be
privately run. Most are nonunion.

Parents at 20th Street filed a petition earlier this month to convert the
school into a charter school. To make the change, they’re using the state’s
“parent trigger law” that allows parents to decide who will take control of a
low-performing campus once the school district confirms that a majority of
parents had signed a petition.

The parent group hasn't yet chosen an organization that would run the charter
school. Under state law, only parents who signed the petition will have a vote.
The advocacy group helping them, Parent Revolution, is backed by nonprofit
organizations that support the growth of charter schools, including the Walton
Family Foundation, the Wasserman Foundation, the Arnold Foundation and the
Broad Foundation.

The petition drive has divided the campus, with supporters accusing teachers of
misconduct and retaliation. The union, in turn, has accused Parent Revolution
of using deceptive tactics to gather signatures. Both sides have denied any
wrongdoing.

The signs and posters at 20th Street focused on what students loved about their
school — the teachers, the music — scrawled in colorful, children's handwriting.

Some rallygoers at Hamilton High School in Palms were more direct in their
attack on the charter school expansion plan, which was originally spearheaded
by the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation. That proposal laid out a plan to spend
$490 million to double the number of charters in L.A. over eight years.

Protesters held white posters that proclaimed in black block letters:
"Billionaires, have a heart. Your plan will tear our schools apart!" and
"Billionaires: Pay your taxes so we can get smaller classes!"

Parents, students and teachers at Los Angeles Unified schools stage a “walk-in”
before school Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2016, to protest charter school expansion and
call for greater investment in public education.

L.A. Unified Supt. Michelle King joined union organizers and school board
members for the demonstration at Hamilton High, where she was once principal.
The partnership between the school district and the union on this event was
emblematic of how those who are part of the traditional education system have
put aside differences to rally together against what they perceive as a common
threat.

In other cities, the mood was less cooperative: Chicago teachers targeted
district officials for more funding and a fairer contract.

But Karen Lewis, president of the Chicago teachers union, attended a walk-in at
Dorsey High School in Baldwin Hills. She was there and not in Chicago because
of this week’s American Federation of Teachers executive council meeting.
Dorsey was assigned to her, and she wore a sign saying, “Eli Broad, leave our
public school alone,” followed by the hashtag “#studentsdeserve.”

On hand at Hamilton was Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation
of Teachers.

"Clearly the fight in L.A. is against billionaires trying to destabilize a
public school system," Weingarten said. "This is a fight about whether we
provide real opportunities for all kids or whether the privatizers and
billionaires get to decide which kids get opportunities and which kids don’t."

The charter expansion effort has been taken over by a group called Great Public
Schools Now, which said it will support successful schools of any kind.

See the most-read stories this hour >>

"We hope to work constructively with any group that shares our deep desire to
improve education in Los Angeles, and we support all communities who are
rallying for better schools," the group said in a statement in advance of the
walk-ins. "We are eager to have a thoughtful discussion about the future of
education in Los Angeles without impugning the motives of those who disagree
with us."

The gathering at 20th Street Elementary, just south of downtown Los Angeles,
began early.

At 7 a.m., parents, teachers and kids collected in front of the school's doors.
Staff wore light blue shirts, their backs emblazoned with the message,
“Students, parents, and teachers working together for a better 20th Street
Elementary.” On the front, the shirts spelled out those words in Spanish.

Once inside the gates, Principal Mario Garcielita announced a grant from a
group called People for Parks that will keep the school’s playground open on
Saturdays, beginning in April. He also said the school’s library would be
getting a facelift and new books later this month.

Students, parents and educators hold signs in front of Hamilton High during a
"walk-in" demonstartion orchestrated by the Alliance to Reclaim Our Schools to
protest charter expansion and call for greater investment in public education.

(Al Seib / Los Angeles Times)
After the rally, students and teachers walked to class, and about 30 parents
stayed for a workshop to understand the “Report Card” their school had received
from the district.

Union representatives said the event was not a protest of the petition. Rather,
it is an effort to take back schools “for the public, for teachers, for
students,” and away from the “billionaire privatizing agenda,” said United
Teachers Los Angeles spokeswoman Anna Bakalis.

UTLA’s Central Area chairman, Jose Lara, is a teacher at Santee Education
Complex, which also held a walk-in. But he chose to spend part of the morning
at 20th Street to support the people “who want to keep the school a community
school,” he said.

Juan Nelasco found out about the walk-in from his 8-year-old daughter, who is
on the student council. She and her siblings had made posters that they hung
around their necks with pink yarn. Hers read, “I love 20th Street because they
have great teachers and help us.”

Omar Calvillo, a parent and one of the leaders of the petition to convert the
school into a charter, was also at the rally. He appreciates the new programs
that will allow the school to be open on the weekends, he said in an interview
after the walk-in. But he wants his sons to be challenged and better prepared
academically, he added.

Kirim email ke