I Left My Son in a Kingdom of Men 
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/09/opinion/sunday/saudi-arabia-women-driving-ban.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-1&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0
 By MANAL AL-SHARIF JUNE 9, 2017
 Continue reading the main story 
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/09/opinion/sunday/saudi-arabia-women-driving-ban.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-1&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0#story-continues-1Share
 This Page Share Tweet Email More Save



 
 Photo 

CreditArianna Vairo I have two sons. They have never met face to face. Never 
tickled, giggled, wrestled on the floor, thrown a ball, or played a prank or 
peek-a-boo. They have T-shirts that say “big brother” and “little brother.” 
They know each other’s nicknames and that they have similar eyes. They know 
that they share the same mom. And I know that the only way I can wrap my arms 
around one is to leave the other.
 Mine is not, on paper, an unusual situation. I married a man, had a child, got 
divorced. Several years passed, I moved, remarried, and had another child. 
Women, and men, do it all the time. The difference is that I am a Saudi woman, 
born into a kingdom of men, and forced out not because of my divorce, but 
because I took a stand.
 In May 2011, I drove a car on Saudi roads, with my brother beside me and my 
sister-in-law, her baby and my son, Aboudi, in the back seat. In Saudi Arabia, 
women are forbidden to drive.
 I was arrested and spent nine days in prison. At the time, I was a working, 
divorced mother. As a result of my protest, I was threatened — imams wanted me 
to be publicly lashed — and monitored and harassed. I was pushed out of my job. 
After that, I had to move from my home. Without a safe place to work or live, 
with other Saudis calling for my death, I had no choice but to leave the only 
country I had ever known. The hardest part was leaving behind Aboudi, who was 
then 6 and a half years old.


 

 I had driven with the hope of freeing women in Saudi society — and by freeing 
women, I also hoped to free men. I had driven so that Aboudi might know a 
better life. Instead, my protest accelerated our separation.
 Divorce is common in Saudi Arabia. According to recent numbers from the Saudi 
General Authority of Statistics, about one-third of all couples divorce. Or, as 
the Arab News put it, there are at least five divorces every hour of every day.
 
 In a divorce, Saudi fathers retain all legal custody of children and all 
rights to the marital home. They’re granted full physical custody for girls at 
age 7 and often for boys at age 9; even though Aboudi was only 6, I couldn’t 
take him with me because his father retained legal custody. Since Saudi women 
must have a designated male guardian, divorced women are made to return to 
their father’s or another male relative’s home. Across the kingdom, mothers 
fight back tears as they are forced to leave the children they have raised and 
the homes where their babies took their first steps and said their first 
prayers.
 

 As I packed my books, clothes and a few dishes to move to Dubai, which borders 
the eastern tip of Saudi Arabia, the thing I wanted most I could not take with 
me: the small corner of the universe Aboudi and I shared.
 I had hoped that my son would visit me, but my ex-husband changed his mind. 
The only way I could see Aboudi was to fly back to Saudi Arabia every other 
weekend. I did, of course. But I had no place to stay. At the time, many hotels 
refused to allow a Saudi woman to stay alone in a room without permission from 
a man. So for those precious weekends, I returned to my ex-mother-in-law’s 
house, the house where my marriage had fractured and broken and where more 
times than I care to remember, my own body had been struck and bruised.
 My ex-husband has remarried and has two daughters. Aboudi now lives with his 
grandmother, my ex-mother-in-law; it has become her job to raise him. I used to 
know everything about my son: his favorite food, color, game and movie; what he 
liked to wear, his latest tricks, his best friend’s name. But he has become 
more and more of a stranger to me. I have to ask his grandmother who his new 
friends are, what he likes to eat, when he last went swimming.
 I hired a lawyer to contest the premise that I could not have my son visit me 
in Dubai. The verdict was no. The court cited a 10th-century Islamic text, from 
the time of camels and caravans traveling across hot desert sands, and noted 
the “risk of the child dying en route on such a dangerous distance.” The trip 
from Dammam, where he lives in Saudi Arabia, to Dubai is one hour by plane.
 And then in 2014, my second son was born.
 A man who loved me had proposed, and we were married — not in Saudi Arabia or 
in Dubai, but by a civil marriage from a law court in Canada. Under Saudi 
rules, a woman (or a Saudi man) cannot marry a non-Saudi without official 
permission, and my planned marriage did not pass whatever test was applied. 
Because my marriage is not recognized, neither is my second child. The 
government will not grant him a visa.
 When he was 6, Aboudi had asked me for a brother. He wanted to name him 
“Hamza,” which means courageous lion. This baby is Daniel Hamza, a great irony 
since in religious texts it was Daniel who survived the lions’ den. My curious, 
noisy, mischievous younger son has never seen my homeland. He knows his big 
brother only through photos and from waving at each other on screens.
 I love my sons, I love my husband, and I love my country. But in kingdoms of 
men, there are few — if any — choices for women. Or the choices are such that 
there is no greater pain than having to choose.
 I have been jailed. I have been strip-searched. I have pressed my face against 
heavy metal bars, against the Plexiglass divide in a visitor’s waiting room. I 
slept on the prison’s filthy mattresses. Inside, other mothers had their 
babies. All day long, I listened to their gurgles and cries. As horrible as it 
was for me, at least those mothers were on the same side of the prison walls 
with their children. I am now on the outside, but I do not yet know how to free 
myself from the bars that still separate my children.
 
 Manal al-Sharif is the author of the forthcoming memoir “Daring to Drive: A 
Saudi Woman’s Awakening.”

 Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/nytopinion and Twitter (@NYTopinion) 
http://twitter.com/NYTOpinion, and sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter 
http://www.nytimes.com/newsletters/opiniontoday/. 


 A version of this op-ed appears in print on June 11, 2017, on Page SR7 of the 
New York edition with the headline: Motherhood in a Kingdom of Men. Today's 
Paper http://www.nytimes.com/pages/todayspaper/index.html|Subscribe 
http://www.nytimes.com/subscriptions/Multiproduct/lp839RF.html?campaignId=48JQY

 

Kirim email ke