Yang paling dirugikan sudah pasti Orang Hutan dan Orang Rimba, cuman mereka itu
underrepresented, apapun yg terjadi semua bungkam saja,

---In GELORA45@yahoogroups.com, <ilmesengero@...> wrote :

 Mengapa di media cetak maupun elektronik hampir tidak ada berita dan analisa
kerusakan alam dan aakibatnya di NKRI? Pada akhirnya siapa yang dirugikan?
 Orangutan numbers in Borneo plummet by more than 100,000 in just 16 years ABC
Science http://www.abc.net.au/science/
 By Carl Smith
 Updated Thursday at 20:59
 First posted Thursday at 20:01
 In some parts of Borneo, orangutan populations have been wiped out
 (Supplied: Marc Ancrenaz)
 About half of the orangutans on the island of Borneo were either killed or
removed between 1999 and 2015, according to new research.
 Key points Surveys show only 70,000 - 100,000 orangutans remain in the wild in
 Deforestation one factor, but greater losses seen in forested areas
 Hunting may be the biggest driver
 "That's a huge amount of loss," said Professor Serge Wich from Liverpool John
Moores University, a co-author of the study published today in the journal
Current Biology.
 "It's a higher amount than we thought, and that we were thinking based on
previous studies," Professor Wich said.
 Maria Voigt from the Max Plank Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology is
another co-author of the research, which pooled data from 38 international
 "We used a very broad compilation of orangutan survey data to model their
distribution and found that they had declined by more than 100,000
individuals," Ms Voigt said.
 "It's a 50 per cent loss."
 Based on their data, Ms Voigt said there were "around 70,000 to 100,000"
orangutans left in the wild in Borneo.
 Human development has crept further into Bornean orangutans' native habitats
 (Supplied: Serge Wich)
 Professor Wich said the decline was calculated by combining existing surveys
of orangutan nests.
 "The study we've conducted took advantage of 16 years of survey data on
orangutan locations in Borneo," he said.
 "On a large island like Borneo, it's impossible to go to every single piece of
 The team filled in the gaps by looking at maps of land-use changes and other
threats that have an impact on orangutan populations.
 They examined how those changes affected populations in areas where they had
nest-survey data.
 Then they used those results to extrapolate how the species was faring right
across the island.
 "We've used a lot of land-use layers, [and] threat layers, like human
population density, to try to predict what the density is in the areas where we
did not go," Professor Wich said.
 The data showed there were more orangutans on the island than was previously
estimated, but also that a greater number were killed.
 "In 1999, there were more orangutans than we thought," Professor Wich said.
 "But it also means we've lost much more than we thought — so it's a bit of a
double-edged sword in that way."
 Deforestation vs hunting
 Palm oil plantations and logging have both contributed to deforestation in
 (Supplied: Marc Ancrenaz)
 The study showed changes in land cover led to whole populations of orangutans
being driven out of some areas.
 "You have the steepest loss in the habitat loss areas, where you have
deforestation and conversion," Ms Voigt said.
 However, she said this only made up for about 10 per cent of the total number
of orangutans lost.
 In terms of raw numbers, more individuals were lost in the remaining forests
and partially forested areas.
 The researchers believe this has been driven mainly by hunting.
 "This was a really important finding, as it supports previous research that
killing and hunting is a huge problem, and it might even be the biggest driver
during this period," Ms Voigt said.
 The baby trade torturing orangutans to extinction
 A former orangutan smuggler shares the secrets of how gangs are slaughtering
the great apes to steal their babies to sell as pets or status symbols
 Professor Wich said roughly 70 per cent of the total number of orangutans
killed came from forested areas.
 "Hunting is a widespread issue," he said.
 "Orangutans are frequently being shot when they venture into plantations, when
they venture into small-scale farm areas.
 "We had not realised that the issue was this large though," Professor Wich
 Adjunct Professor Erik Meijaard from the University of Queensland and the
Brunei-based conservation group Borneo Futures was another co-author of the
 He said he had been trying to highlight the impact of hunting over the past
decade, after learning many people in Borneo were still killing orangutans for
 "Those people frequently told me how good and sweet orangutan meat was," Dr
Meijaard said.
 "Our current study shows that we have collectively failed to address the most
important threats, and therefore orangutan populations are plummeting on
 Many populations of orangutans are close to the brink of extinction
 (Supplied: Marc Anzrenaz)
 Further losses predicted Professor Wich said the research team also modelled
how the remaining orangutan population in Borneo would fare over coming years.
The results were not promising.
 "We examined the potential decline of orangutans through deforestation in the
future, up until 2050," he said.
 "It could be that in the period from now until then, we lose about 45,000
orangutans through deforestation alone.
 "We didn't even incorporate the potential losses through hunting in that
projection going forward.
 "That's the main worry — that we're not giving it its due attention, and that
therefore we're not developing conservation strategies to curb that hunting."
 However, Ms Voigt said there were some promising signs for orangutans, such as
a few populations that were being successfully protected in Malaysian forest
fragments around plantations.
 "There are high densities of orangutans [there], and also other wildlife," Ms
Voigt said.
 The researchers say some orangutan populations in Borneo have stabilised
 (Supplied: Marc Ancrenaz)
 She also said a string of recent stakeholder meetings and new action plans in
both Malaysia and Indonesia could help the species.
 Professor Wich said he hoped increased awareness would lead to improved
 "There is a lot more awareness in Indonesia and Malaysia for environmental
issues in general than ever before," he said.
 "There are some promising collaborations between conservation and industry —
be that oil palm industry or logging companies — where they try to maintain the
orangutans in those areas.
 "We need to be able to find a situation in which we protect orangutans in a
matrix of different land uses.
 "Orangutans are fairly flexible and they can probably survive in those
matrices. But we can obviously only do that when they're not being killed."

Kirim email ke