On Tue, 12 May 2015, Brad Beckmann wrote:

On May 12, 2015, 4:05 a.m., Nilay Vaish wrote:
I need an example why this is required.  What behavior is not achievable right
now?

Here is the initial patch description from a certain intern back in 2012:

"Adds a function to slicc to return the pointer of an object or reference.
This is needed in a few cases where you are not using a CacheMemory as the main
store in
your controller. The other stores (PerfectCacheMemory and DirectoryMemory)
return a reference
as their lookup functions which must be cast to a pointer to work with
getCacheEntry"

Would it be sufficient if I just updated the desciption with this second
paragraph?

If my code is broken, I do not go and fix the compiler. So fix DirectoryMemory and PerfectCacheMemory instead.

I generally try to follow two principles suggested by William Wulf for ISA design:

a. If something is done in one way in one place, it ought to be done the same way everywhere.

b. There should be precisely one way to do something, or all ways should be possible.

I suggest that we follow these in software design as well.

Lastly, I strongly suggest that we avoid, as much as possible, adding new keywords to SLICC.

--
Nilay