This would be internal to the gdb code, ie if a read from the socket fails,
it would detach and throw an exception which would unwind back out of all
the gdb stuff without having to add ifs all over the place. This bit of
code doesn't really have an external interface, so it wouldn't be visible
to the caller, assuming a stray exception didn't escape somehow. I think it
would be a little nicer that way, but not so much that I'd want to argue
for it very strongly.

Gabe