Hi all,

I’ve just pushed a patchset which removes the current testing implementation
and replaces it with a work in progress test framework. This framework is meant
to be a strong starting point for a new testing infrastructure which would
allow for more test coverage and an easier/better user experience. The new
framework is completely functional as it stands, but I am open to suggestions,
criticism and change requests that might improve it further.

Just to briefly motivate this patch, there are quite a few reasons I believe
the current testing framework is not suitable and is worth completely
replacing. The main reason is that there are too many different ways to access
the testing system, each of which is documented separately. The biggest cause
of this is the reliance on SCons to enumerate and provide the dependencies for
the tests. This proposed framework removes that dependency and provides its own
method for tracking dependencies - fixtures. (These are described in more
detail in the documentation.)

In addition to the patch directly applied to gem5 found
https://gem5-review.googlesource.com/c/4420. You can find the library in its
own development branch on github here https://github.com/spwilson2/whimsy. The
documentation has already been generated and can be browsed here
https://spwilson2.github.io/whimsy/. In case the paragraph above wasn’t enough,
the first few sections of the documentation provide some more motivation for
this library before introducing the framework in full.

Finally, I only have a week left that I will have dedicated to development on
this project, so I appreciate hearing comments sooner rather than later!

Thanks all!

- Sean Wilson