The build symlinks every .cc files from the build directory into the
source directory by default, and it annoys me quite a lot, since when
using GDB I go into the build directory instead of source.

Today I was studying the build system, and I learned that that this is
an SCons feature of variant dirs, which does hardlinks by default, but
which we force to generate symlinks on gem5 with:

main.SetOption('duplicate', 'soft-copy')

I then saw that it is possible to turn off the symlinks / hardlinks and
just use the source directly, at least on a per variant directory basis
with:

SConscript(variant_dir=, duplicate=0)

So I ask you the following:

1. do you know of a way to turn the duplication off by default in one go
for all variant dirs?
2. if such method exists, and I made a patch that implements it by
default, would you be favorable to such change? Or do you rely on the
symlinks for some functionality?

CC @Gabe as I've been told you were planning to do something about the
variants in the build system some time ago.