It is thrown away if you then attempt to create another commit, assuming
the first one went worked, overwriting COMMIT_EDITMSG. Then when I wrote
the message again it failed again, and then I ran git commit trying to
figure out what happened, and the COMMIT_EDITMSG was thrown away again.
There is also no way that I know of to bring that back into the editor to
fix it. I have disabled the check locally and plan to leave it that way.

Gabe