Hi folks. I've been reading up on Lua so that I can implement some testing
for the lua bindings for the m5 ops, and since that seems like more
tractable way to test the PIC version of the m5op code than the java
bindings which would require an image with a JVM in it.

I was wondering, does the lua binding provide a significant benefit over,
say, the m5 utility itself or the java binding? Is it worth keeping? Or is
it too niche to justify the overhead of maintaining it and testing it
properly?

Also, lua 5.1 (the version the wrapper uses) represents all numbers as
doubles, including the addresses being passed to the m5 ops. This will
almost certainly cause problems for some ops like arm, init_param, and
add_symbol, and may lead to imprecision in other ops.

In lua 5.3, I've read that numbers can now be either doubles or long longs
(generally 64 bit according to the manual) which would be able to represent
these values correctly.

Do we want to switch to 5.3?

Gabe

https://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html