If you're interested in the algorithm, here's a good place to start:

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~stever/pubs/sigmetrics93_wwt.pdf

The "synchronization events" are equivalent to the "quantum expiration
events" of section 4.2.  One difference between Nate's plans and WWT
is that WWT simulated a single flat network between the nodes, where
we're trying to make something more general so that you could use both
the inter-node network and the intra-node bus as decoupling points for
independent event domains.

Steve