I just finished stepping through some code having to do with PCs in
simple CPU, and I noticed that not printing DPRINTFs is actually a
fairly involved process, considering that you're not actually doing
anything. Part of the issue, I think, is that whether or not a traceflag
is on is stored in a vector of Bools. Since the size of the vector won't
change often (ever?) would it make sense to just make it a char [] and
use something like the following?

flags[t >>  3] &  (1 << (t & 3));

I realize when you've got tracing on you're not going for blazing speed
in the first place, but if it's easy to tighten it up a bit that's
probably a good idea. The other possibility is that it's actually not
doing a whole lot but calling through a bunch of functions gdb stops at
one at a time. That would look like a lot of work to someone stepping
through with gdb but could be just as fast.

Gabe