That sounds exactly like what's happening.  It's that assert that is
failing.  Can you whip up a fix?  If you don't have time to re-run
regressions, you can send the fix to me and I can run them tonight.
You can alternatively just run this one:
long/50.vortex/alpha/tru64/simple-atomic

it fails very quickly right now.