> I haven't looked at this particular issue closely, but aren't you answering
> your own question?  The thing you gain by accessing the CPU via the
> ThreadContext interface is that all of the CPU models present a consistent
> and compatible interface to the instruction objects...

Hey Steve,
I agree that accessing through the ThreadContext Interface buys you a
consistent way to access the CPU & register file...However, because all the
CPUs are derived off of the BaseCPU object anyway, then it forces all the
CPUs to already have the same consistent interface without using the
ThreadContext in the first place.

My "toy" example of this is say I want to read a integer register from an
instruction. I could either go:
(1) inst->threadContext->readIntReg()
or
(2) inst->cpu->readIntReg()

In the threadContext object, there is just some redundant call to
cpu->readIntReg() anyway. So you end up calling (1) and (2) instead of just
directly calling (2).

So unless there is some important preprocessing done in the threadContext's
readIntReg() function that can't be done in the cpu object's readIntReg()
function, I'm not exactly sure that we arent just stacking redundant
compatibility on top of each other. But, I could be missing something
(especially the FS implications)