> I think this is a good idea. I'm pretty sure you can parse the file with the
> python ini package, correct? What would be great is if we could automatically
> have a version added to the root object. This seems pretty impossible though,
> so perhaps we should create a checkpoint_version parameter on the root
> starting with 1. As versions change, it probably shouldn't be too bad to
> increment the version number and call a method to go from checkpoint version
> to max version by calling every function needed for the translation.

I really like this idea.  The ConfigParser stuff should do just fine
with our files and if there is something wrong in our grammar, we
should just fix it.  Steve and I have even had several discussions
about using something like ConfigParser to build the checkpoint in
memory and then spit it out at the end instead of our total hack of
generating the checkpoint on the fly.  This would make it far simpler
to serialize sub-objects.  Anyway, maintaining a conversion utility
doesn't sound like a huge pain.  We need to make some sort of
provision for marking changes in the checkpoint functions that are not
backward compatible.

  Nate