I can affirm that the ConfigParser package is super easy to use, and I've
used it to aggregate both ALPHA and X86 checkpoints together arbitrarily to
make new checkpoints.  An updater shouldn't be too hard, I've done a fair
amount of fixup along the way in that regard.

I also want to point out I added a UNSERIALIZE_OPT_SCALAR macro in changeset
6820 that tries to unserialize a field and returns a bool if it's not there.
 This helped with old checkpoints because the unserialization code could set
its own default for a field that was not serialized in old checkpoints,
based on the return value of the macro.

Lisa