>> As a thought, TRANSFORM should probably take the action abbreviation
>> (e.g. "CC") as a parameter if you're going to do the colorization.
>
> I don't follow... do you think the filenames should be colorized differently
> depending on the command?  Note that the TRANSFORM* functions don't get
> called directly by the user so you can't add params anyway (unless there's a
> mechanism I'm unaware of).
No, I think all of the colorization should be in a single function.
It's definitely a mechanism to allow transform to take an argument.
So you change this:

    main['CCCOMSTR']        = ' [      CC] $TRANSFORM'

to this:

    main['CCCOMSTR']        = ' $TRANSFORM("CC")'

I had initially implemented the STRIP stuff like that and I don't
remember exactly how it worked, but my recollection is that
TRANSFORM("CC") was called, expected to return a callable, then that
callable was called as TRANSFORM is now (I just created a class).  All
that said, I think that the RHS of this thing is also allowed to be a
function and we don't have to use the SCons string substitution.
You'd want to do the same callable object thing.

Make sense?

  Nate