Combining FS and SE is a lot like the heterogeneous ISA stuff in that it's something I'd really like to see happen but also where there are definitely some steps in the middle. The detail work of combining FS and SE will be easier, I think, but it will take more conceptual level/architectural changes.

Gabe

Quoting nathan binkert <n...@binkert.org>:

I'm certain that I compiled the whole tree with debug, opt, and fast,
in addition to running regressions.  I pretty much do that every time.
 What I must not have done was compile all of the different coherence
protocols though (I didn't realize that more were run in regressions
since I last updated my script).  Why don't we make opt the default
for util/regress if that's the right thing to do?  Of course, then I
may forget to compile fast and have bugs due to that.  Running both
opt and fast on regress every time would fix it, but the number of
variants that we need to compile is getting ridiculous.  We need to
figure out a way to compile multiple coherence protocols into a single
binary and probably compile SE and FS into the same binary.

  Nate

This has to do with DPRINTFs in Ruby code, so I think it's related to
Nate's recent changes.  Note that the regressions pass because they
run with m5.fast which compiles out DPRINTFs.  I'm pretty sure I've
said this before, but I think we should run regressions with opt and
not fast (at least some of the time).  Certainly people should run
regressions with opt and not just fast before they commit, since this
also gives the opportunity to catch run-time assertions.

Steve

% util/regress -k --variant=debug
[...]
 [     CXX] ALPHA_SE_MESI_CMP_directory/mem/protocol/L2Cache_L1Cache_request_type_to_event.cc
-> .do
build/ALPHA_SE_MESI_CMP_directory/mem/protocol/L2Cache_L1Cache_request_type_to_event.cc:
In member function 'L2Cache_Event
L2Cache_Controller::L2Cache_L1Cache_request_type_to_event(CoherenceRequestType,
Address, MachineID, L2Cache_Entry*)':
build/ALPHA_SE_MESI_CMP_directory/mem/protocol/L2Cache_L1Cache_request_type_to_event.cc:32:
error: 'RubySlicc' is not a member of 'Debug'
scons: *** [build/ALPHA_SE_MESI_CMP_directory/mem/protocol/L2Cache_L1Cache_request_type_to_event.do]
Error 1
 [     CXX] ALPHA_SE_MESI_CMP_directory/mem/protocol/L2Cache_addSharer.cc -> .do
build/ALPHA_SE_MESI_CMP_directory/mem/protocol/L2Cache_addSharer.cc:
In member function 'void
L2Cache_Controller::L2Cache_addSharer(Address, MachineID,
L2Cache_Entry*)':
build/ALPHA_SE_MESI_CMP_directory/mem/protocol/L2Cache_addSharer.cc:23:
error: 'RubySlicc' is not a member of 'Debug'
scons: *** [build/ALPHA_SE_MESI_CMP_directory/mem/protocol/L2Cache_addSharer.do]
Error 1
scons: `build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_directory/m5.debug' is up to date.
 [     CXX] ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L1Cache_averageLatencyEstimate.cc
-> .do
build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L1Cache_averageLatencyEstimate.cc:
In member function 'int
L1Cache_Controller::L1Cache_averageLatencyEstimate()':
build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L1Cache_averageLatencyEstimate.cc:9:
error: 'RubySlicc' is not a member of 'Debug'
scons: *** [build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L1Cache_averageLatencyEstimate.do]
Error 1
 [     CXX] ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L1Cache_updateAverageLatencyEstimate.cc
-> .do
build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L1Cache_updateAverageLatencyEstimate.cc:
In member function 'void
L1Cache_Controller::L1Cache_updateAverageLatencyEstimate(int)':
build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L1Cache_updateAverageLatencyEstimate.cc:9:
error: 'RubySlicc' is not a member of 'Debug'
scons: *** [build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L1Cache_updateAverageLatencyEstimate.do]
Error 1
 [     CXX] ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L2Cache_convertToGenericType.cc
-> .do
build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L2Cache_convertToGenericType.cc:
In member function 'GenericRequestType
L2Cache_Controller::L2Cache_convertToGenericType(CoherenceRequestType)':
build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L2Cache_convertToGenericType.cc:15:
error: 'RubySlicc' is not a member of 'Debug'
scons: *** [build/ALPHA_SE_MOESI_CMP_token/mem/protocol/L2Cache_convertToGenericType.do]
Error 1