On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Gabe Black <gbl...@eecs.umich.edu> wrote:

> I was thinking about this today, and if we expand the read/write
> functions to handle signed types too, we're really just expanding the
> arbitrary set of types they can handle, not removing the limitation that
> you have to stay within those types which is what I think you don't like.

I think originally we supported memory accesses for any operand type
you could define, but that stopped being true once you made the
definitions extensible.  My immediate concern is just to make sure
that switching from the old explicit sign extensions to some implicit
sign extensions that happened as a side effect of C type conversions
is really doing the right thing, but having a cleaner way of doing
memory accesses of arbitrary types is a good idea.

> Instead of extending what we already have as far as explicit
> instantiation, it would be nice to have a more automatic mechanism where
> we'd just feed a list of types and a template (you can pass templates as
> template arguments, sort of like function pointers but for templates)
> and have some widget that cranks out the actual instantiation without so
> much copy and paste coding.

That sounds interesting, but seems like overkill... I just looked at
the SimpleCPU code, and as far as I can tell, the memory access type
(the arg type for read() and write()) is only used for two things: to
determine the size of the access, and to control the data type in the
InstRecord type for exec tracing (basically this is mostly setting the
data_status enum, but also using the proper double vs int field in the
data union).  The actual type clearly doesn't matter at all for the
first, and only a subset of types are supported for the second.

The original idea with the templates was that they might permit faster
implementations for functional CPU models that communicated directly
with memory.  However, if anything we've gone in the other direction
by implementing these templates in terms of readBytes() and
writeBytes().

So my general feeling is that if we want to make significant changes
to this interface, I'd be more inclined to streamline it and have the
generated ISA code call readBytes() and writeBytes() directly with a
size and some additional info to make exec tracing work (which should
get rid of the templates entirely, I think) rather than expanding the
template interface.  Then the burden of converting from an untyped
sequence of bytes to whatever the ISA wants could be done entirely in
the ISA definition, which seems like a good place for it.  Does that
make sense?  Do you think it's feasible or worthwhile?

> Also, while looking for information about Boost (in progress right now)
> I found their page where they talk about their license (link below).
> Looking through it, there are some ideas there which seem relevant to
> gem5. Specifically, I like the idea of a single license for everything,
> perhaps involving assigning copyright to a neutral body like a gem5
> foundation or something, and then just referring to it in the actual
> source files. That would get rid of lots of redundant text, and they
> make a good point that all that text is the sort of thing lawyers might
> get their underwear in a bunch over. There may be (but isn't
> necessarily) subtle variation on a file by file basis, and it's probably
> a lot more work to go through if somebody ever needed to do that.

We discussed this a long long time ago (when we first started
distributing the code, IIRC), and while it does have the advantages
you describe, the cost of further wrangling with lawyers is basically
not worth it IMO.  Maybe if we started a new project from scratch we
would consider it, but the horse has left the barn for gem5, I think.

Steve