​Appreciate the reply, Jason! That helps a lot!

A follow-up question (for anyone who has input): I'm currently developing
my Master's thesis, and it will likely involve some ISA extension of x86
and possibly other architectures. I will be tackling a specific research
question, likely involving the modified caches I discussed in my first
post. However, in the interest of making the fruits of my thesis useful to
a broader range of people, I am wondering if there are any
ISA-extension-specific gem5 documentation/features/frameworks I could
contribute to during the course of my thesis. gem5 has helped me a lot, and
I'd be honored to contribute back to it! Realistically, one thing I'd like
to create (if it doesn't already exist) is a thorough introduction to ISA
extension in x86, given that I'm about to spend a lot of time figuring it
out myself!

Looking forward to anyone's input on this.

Thanks all,
Gus Smith

--
*Gus Smith*