发件人: Gabe Black<gabe.bl...@gmail.com<mailto:gabe.bl...@gmail.com>>
抄送: Liyichao<liyic...@huawei.com<mailto:liyic...@huawei.com>>
主题: Re: [gem5-users] How to debug a program in GEM5 FS mode.
时间: 2021-04-21 14:06:58

Hello, Liyichao. While gdb debugging in gem5 is a great tool, it's a bit
limited as far as the sort of debugging you're talking about. It can see the
CPU state when you're in user space programs, but it doesn't understand that
different user space programs are different things, or know how to look up
their symbols, etc. It's intended primarily for debugging the kernel, since
that's frankly a more tractable problem. It would be possible to extend that
support to give it more insight into what's going on inside the kernel so it
can do more in that regard, and while I'd like to do that at some point, that's
not anything that will happen soon.

If you want to debug a user space program inside gem5, I think your best bet is
to debug it in SE mode where the only thing running is your program. SE mode is
more approximate than FS mode and can't run every program, but if it can run
yours that's probably what you'll want to do.

Another option would be to run gdb *inside* gem5, as part of the simulation. I
don't know if anybody has tried that, but then gdb should work like it would on
a real ARM host, more or less.

Gabe

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 7:27 PM Liyichao via gem5-users